Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Vow of Silence

Hi everyone!


So I realize that this is probably quite awkward, considering that I literally started this beauty blog only a few days ago, and this has nothing to do with beauty, but I figured I'd let you guys know - yep, that's right, YOU! Reading this right now! - what I'm partaking in tomorrow.


Vow of Silence


I don't know if you guys have heard about this, and I'm pretty sure you haven't, but I'm in a club in my school called O-Ambassadors. We basically do a lot of work to raise money and awareness of the problems overseas in third world countries and try to make a change. The organization is involved with, or is a part of, Free the Children, which was started by Craig Kielburger at age 12 and the main thing about this non-profit organization is "children helping children".


(*edit: Maybe you guys have heard of WeDay? I know that many celebrities take part in it, and it's one of the biggest events they have.)


This event is just one of the major things that this organization does.


I did this last year and it literally was one of the toughest things I've ever done. You have people sponsor you or donate money to stay silent for 24 hours, to symbolize the fact that children's rights in third-world countries like Kenya, India, and China are not recognized. They do not have a "voice" and can't say what is on their mind. For 24 hours, you cannot speak or communicate - which means no talking whatsoever, no writing (unless I have to, since I'm doing this during school), no Twitter, no Facebook, no YouTube, no Tumblr - nothing. You are basically cut off from the world.


It really puts things into perspective. I think that this is such an ingenious idea because when you actually are symbolizing and doing what you're trying to raise money for and help is amazing, yet extremely difficult. Trust me, I have a friend that does not  shut up, ever! And when she did this last year (and she's doing it again tomorrow) she couldn't wait to have her freedom of speech back. It's something we take for granted, and taking the Vow is something that shows it. We don't have to work at 6 years old in jobs that might not end well, and we can get an education, and we can speak. So even though it is so difficult to not say something when you have the itch in your throat to speak (does anyone else get that? When you want to say something so bad and there's like an itch in your throat to say it?) and you simply can't.


If you want to check some more information about the Vow of Silence (You can do it alone, too!) you can go to the website here. You can also see other events Free the Children has and learn more about the organization.


I'll let you know how the Vow of Silence goes tomorrow - for some reason, I feel like this year will be more difficult ... especially because I didn't have a YouTube or Twitter last year!


I'll try to post more beauty related things soon. Thanks for taking the time to read this. (:


-Sara x

No comments:

Post a Comment